Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Recently my follower/blogging friend Mimi (Hey Girl!) left me a comment about my previous blog and asked me this, here is her comment:

I do get confused on what cats need. My dog is down pat but I've had trouble with Ms. Kitty. I took her in for her shots at 7 weeks, she ended up getting sick..had ear mites that the vet should have checked for in my opinion...had to give her some kind of shot for the infection...took her back twice...anyway long story short...when I checked the other day on getting her spayed they said she had not had her vaccinations. I thought what was that $200 for when I brought her in August? Then they said it would cost $250.00 to spay her. I believe my vet is trying to rip me off. what do you think?
So here is my answer:
Okay so about 6 weeks or older is when a kitten get his/her fist set of vaccines. Then 3 weeks later your kitten needs to receive another round of shots, and then another round will be needed again three weeks later. Check out my previous post about vaccines and that should tell you what she needs.
The reason why your kitten probably did not get her vaccines boosted again is because she had an infection and her immune system was compromised. The injection they gave her was an anti-biotic that will last for two weeks. As for the ear mite issue. YES your vet should have caught that at the first visit. When your pet goes to their very first exam after adoption your vet should do a complete head to tail check, this includes the ears and the eyes. If you feel that this is something that your vet missed talk to the office manager and tell her the issue and that you feel that you should not have had to pay for an exam the second time around because of a mistake made by the doctor. Hopefully you can get a discount at your next visit or reimbursed for the office call/exam fee.
The reason why it may cost the $250.00 to spay her is because your vet may use the pediatric form of anesthesia which is not only SAFER for your pet BUT it is more expensive. Your vet probably will do what is called a Pre-anesthetic blood screen BEFORE any anesthesia is given. This blood screen will check your pets liver and kidney values which will make sure they are functioning properly in order for your kittens body to safely metabolize the anesthesia. Another thing that your vet may do (and should do) is an IV catheter and fluids. When your pet has and IV catheter and fluids while under anesthesia it helps their body flush the anesthesia out of their system and it helps your pet come out of the anesthetic a lot easier. Your vet also may do what is called Pre-Medication ( I hope that they do). Pre-medication for your pet can be pain meds and/or anti-biotics and/or a sedative to help your pet relax before surgery. Then of course there is also the cost of the doctors time, and the actual spay itself. What I mean when I say "the actual spay itself" is that you are paying for the tools used, any materials such as sutures, gauze etc etc.. and then the disposal of your pets reproductive organs because it is considered hazardous wasted and has to be disposed of a certain way by law. You may also be charged for overnight hospitalization if your pet has to stay the night.
I would recommend getting an estimate from your vet for any kind of surgical procedure that your pet needs. This way they not only have to stick to the price they gave you BUT you also know what you are paying for. Make sure that you look it over with your vet, ask any questions that you may have, and make sure that you not only take a copy of the estimate for your own records but also make sure that there is a copy of it in your records kept at your vet. And if you are given an estimate at the end of the year make sure that the cost of things is not going up after the year ends, because if it is your estimate from the year previous is no longer good.
I hope I was able to answer all your questions,
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your families!
Amber~

DISCLAIMER: I am not a veterinarian and I can not diagnose or prescribe medications for your pet. If you think your pet is having a medical emergency or needs diagnosing please seek medical attention from your veterinarian immediately.

5 comments:

Tardevil said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! Hope you and your sweeties have a wonderful Christmas & New Year too! Tardevil

MIMILEE said...

Thanks for the info on cats....I have three that were literally left on my doorstep. I love them to death! They are the best pets in the whole world! No trouble really because they are pretty independent. I also one spoiled rotten dog!

I love your blog!

Lisa Pogue said...

Pets are great. Thanks so much for sharing all of this info. It really helps!! Happy New Year and please be safe no matter what you do!!

santamaker said...

Great to have you over for the christmas open house! Hope you have a fab new year!

THE SANDY DOG BAKERY said...

Yes, yes...pets are the best!! Great info. you've shared! HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Buddy The Aussie Dog

Buddy The Aussie Dog